If you live in the Province of BC (Canada) and are unemployed, there are several government programs that you may be eligible for. They are free, which is a nice bonus when money is tight. All of the programs are under the umbrella of the Employment Program of BC (EPBC). Some of the programs are new, and started in April, 2012, and some that existed before are now different. Some of the programs are:
- Employment Skills Access Initiative: training at public colleges and Universities (Langara, UFV, BCIT, Douglas, SFU) paid for by the Government. This is for unemployed people who aren’t receiving EI. You might also be eligible if you are working but underemployed. See more at https://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2011/12/bc-invests-over-13m-in-new-skills-training-programs.html
- Immigrants in Trades Training: new to Canada? Unemployed and want training in an industry (in the trades) that has more jobs than employees?
- Targeted Initiative for Older Workers: Are you age 55-64 years old and unemployed?
- Women in Trades Training: are you a woman who would like to learn a trade? As a plumber? Electrician? Carpenter? Heavy equipment operator?
Here is the full list of programs here: httpss://www.workbc.ca/Education-Training/Programs/Pages/Employment-Programs.aspx
To get into one of the programs, you need to be eligible and referred by someone at a Work BC Centre. The list of those centres is here: https://www.labourmarketservices.gov.bc.ca/workbc_esc/EPBC_Public_Contact-Info.pdf
Close to me there is:
- Sources Community Resource Society #101, 5783 – 176A Street, Surrey or #208 1461 Johnston Road, White Rock
- Back in Motion Rehab #101 – 20316 56th Avenue, Langley or #240 – 7525 King George Boulevard, Surrey
- Options Community Services 13655 104th Avenue, Surrey
- Pacific Community Resources Society #202 – 10334 152A Street, Surrey
If you are not eligible for the free government programs, or would like to take a different approach, consider setting up a sample coaching session, or asking me if I have any groups or workshops coming up.